Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Session 3 - A City Needs People

Finally after some much needed doctor's appointments and some rest I've made it back to the study... so here we go!

Just a reminder, this is our mid-way point and so we will be spending the next 2 weeks on the same chapter. This will allow for some of you to have a quick break, while others have the opportunity to catch up. I'll post again on October 10th for us to review and comment on chapter 4.

I'm going to pose the same question to each of you that Kelly was faced with by a missionary one day... "Do you know the name of a poor person?" Not, do you know the face of a poor person, but their name? Do you call them friend? This hit me real hard when originally going through this study. I had passed by these people many times. I've even dropped off food once or twice a year, but when I sat down to eat my breakfast, lunch & dinner each and every single day, did I ever consider that this was a true blessing and that there aren't just people in Africa with no food, there are also people right here in my own town without food!!! And what was I doing about it... at the time... NOTHING.

I can honestly say, that I didn't just read this from Kelly and then God convict me and I go on with my daily routine. I actually made a phone call and took on the responsibility of acting on what God has called us all to do, "Take care of the least of these." I now take the time to pray for the homeless in our community and purchase them meals. It's not much, but with God he can make something so small into something so huge!

Think about some way you can be a blessing to someone else this week. Make a intentional decision to care for the least of these. Open your arms and embrace someone by getting to know them, their name and something personal about them.

For those of you who were in our class on Wednesday, you received a list of upcoming ministry opportunities. These will be listed in the SendMeMissions newsletter that will go out tomorrow and be posted on our website. Get involved. Take a step out of the boat, out of your comfort zone and trust that God will protect you and guide you.

Now on to the questions...

Week 2 Questions

#1 (pg45) Is it hard for you to move forward without everyone's support or approval? Why or why not?

#2 (pg39) Why do you think Nehemiah kept this a secret at first?

Session 3 Questions (after you've watched the video)

#3 (pg65) What spoke to you most about the Minter Family interview?


1 comment:

  1. Listening to Kelly talk about coming together as a family, to do the work of God really got to us. At times it is easy to forget or overlook the ones in need, as we go about our normal day. This is what hurts, because we are called to help those in need, and not overlook them. It really hit home when her sisters were talking about the "fish bowl" between the societies. We struggle with becoming comfortable in our daily life, and not thinking of others. We are growing so much when we do the work of God, but we need not forget it when it's not right in front of us.

    ReplyDelete