Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Session 4 - The Word Returns

So this week I'm ahead of schedule... Yay! I'm doing this for 2 reasons. #1 I know the rest of the week is busy for me and so I don't want to get behind. #2 Because I know Linda Hernandez is getting ahead of us all and I want her to share with us what she thought about this last week before she gets too far ahead of us all :)

I was encouraged by Kelly on page 76 to learn about how we need to stay focused on the truth of the word and not be deceived by lies. I highlighted in my book the following words, so that I can keep them close at hand and use them when I'm allowing myself to be deceived. "Lord, what I believe about You (or myself) right now is not true." I think it is so important to verbally say these words and acknowledge them. She follows with saying... Scripture enlightened by the Holy Spirit is our plumb line of truth here.

And another area that I highlighted in my book was on page 80. I'm simply going to quote the paragraph because it has become so true in my life...

God stands to accomplish the impossible through us while too often we're content to settle for the explainable. The impossible requires taking time to listen for what He has put in our heart to do. It means believing that He will accomplish what He has spoken.

What are you trying to explain? What are you making excuses about? Where is God leading you?

Week 3 Questions 

#1 (pg 68) As you consider your own frailty, spend a few minutes writing in the margin the ways God has shown His power in a time of your powerlessness. 

#2 (pg 72) Is God asking you to lay down an entitlement in a situation where you are justified to hold onto it? If so, what do you see as the greater purpose of relinquishing this right?

#3 (pg 75) Is the Lord asking you to say no to something so you can focus on what He's asked you to say yes to? If so, what?

#4 (pg 80) What event in your life most exemplifies something that could only have been accomplished with the help of your God?

Session 4 Video Questions (pg 93)

#5 Nehemiah cared enough to lay down what was rightfully his. How did learning this cause you to think differently about what is "your" and how you can use what God has given you for others?

#6 Discuss the difference between giving to the poor and identifying with them

#7 Pastor Joao and Maria left a comfortable life in Manaus to serve the village of Puru Puru. How did their story challenge and/or encourage you?

No comments:

Post a Comment